Welcome to the Syracuse University Payroll Office
The Payroll office is responsible for the processing of authorized salary and other compensation payments to faculty, staff and student employees, and for the appropriate withholding and remittance of taxes and deductions from those payments.
Notification of refinements made to the Summer Option Payroll program during the fall of 2018.
What are the changes?
- The reporting of taxes for your summer option have moved to the time period when you receive the funds. Historically, these were withheld and submitted during the semester.
- Take home pay remains similar under both methods but your taxable income for calendar year 2018 will appear lower. This is given the fact that your earnings for the summer deferral will occur when you receive them.
What benefits will you see?
- This change will allow for evenly distributing base salary over 12 months.
- The first year of the change, calendar year 2018, will result in less taxable income for the participants even though take home pay remained similar.
How did the refinements in the summer program impact my social security?
- Participants in the Summer Option Program with taxable income in 2018 of $128,400 or more were not impacted.
- Indexing stops when participants turn 60 so anyone 60 or older in 2018 were not impacted.
- Participants aged 30-60 impact was very low (i.e., on average well below $1.00 per month).
How did the change impact my TIAA contribution?
- TIAA contributions were not impacted by the summer option refinements.
Should you have any questions please feel free to contact Brian Pendergast at 315-443-1426.