All Syracuse University financial transactions and activities (e.g., buying and paying for goods, services, etc.; getting reimbursed for business and travel expenses; managing funds; etc.) utilize the chart of accounts accounting structure.
Example of an SU Chartstring:
|Business Unit||Fund||Department||Program||Account||Mycode||Project||Activity||Budget Ref|
- Each segment of the chart of accounts is called a chartfield
- All segments together is called the chartstring
- Fund is a 2 digit number
- Department is a 5 digit number and the first 3 digits represent the area
- Program is a 5 digit number
- Account is a 6 digit number
- Mycode is a 6 digit number
- Project is a 5 digit number
- Activity is a 3 digit number
- Budget Reference is a 2 digit number
Business Unit (required field and is defaulted for all transactions)
The business unit is the legal entity required to report financial statements at the end of a fiscal year.
Fund (required field)
The fund is defined as a self-balancing group of chartfield strings, established for unique budgeting, funding, accounting (including reporting), and operational requirements.
- 11, Current Operations
- 13, Sponsored Restricted
- 14, Unrestricted Reserves/Designated
- 15, Unrestricted Gift Funded Restricted Non-Sponsored
- 16, Unrestricted Endowment Funded Restricted Non-Sponsored
- 17, Temporarily Restricted Gift Funded Restricted Non-Sponsored
- 18, Temporarily Restricted Endowment Funded Restricted Non-Sponsored
- 19, Permanently Restricted Non-Sponsored
- 51, Unrestricted Endowment
- 52, Temporarily Restricted Endowment
- 53, Permanently Restricted Endowment
- 71, Unrestricted Loan Fund
- 72, Temporarily Restricted Loan Fund
- 73, Permanently Restricted Loan Fund
- 81, Unrestricted Split Interest Agreement
- 82, Temporarily Restricted Split Interest Agreement
- 83, Permanently Restricted Split Interest Agreement
Note: Typically only funds 11, 13, 15, & 16 are utilized.
Department (required field)
A department is generally defined as an academic or administrative unit that has a common programmatic, operational, and fiscal (including budgetary) responsibility. A department listing can be found in the FAB Repository via My Slice My Reports.
Program (required field)
The program is defined as a group of common ongoing activities for which financial activity needs to be tracked and budgeted. These activities may occur within a single department or across multiple departments. Unique activities for which financial information needs to be tracked will also be accommodated here.
Account (required field)
The account is defined as the natural classification of financial transactions used for recording and summarizing assets, liabilities, net assets, revenues or expenses. (e.g., travel, office supplies, salary, etc.). A complete account listing can be found in the FAB Repository via My Slice My Reports. A selected list for Revenue Accounts, Non-Payroll Expense Accounts, and Payroll Expense Accounts can be found on the Comptroller’s Office website.
MYCODE (optional field)
The MYCODE is strictly an optional field to be used for any special tracking needs the owner of the chartfield may have. See Update A Mycode Description Or Setup A New Mycode for more information regarding the assignment and use of mycodes. New Mycodes can be set up by the Budget Manager (or appropriate designee) in each area. Contact your Budget Manager to determine who can do this for you.
The following are Sponsored Project Chartfields:
Project (required for Sponsored transactions)
The project ID number is a unique value used to accumulate financial and budget transactions and track project/sponsor data. These numbers are sequentially assigned by the PeopleSoft system as grants/contracts are set up. A sponsored award can have one or more projects. This provides the functionality for “sub accounts.”
Activity (required for Sponsored transactions)
The project activity is used to further breakdown a project or task. A project can have one or more of these activities. This provides the functionality for “sub accounts.”
Budget Reference (required for Sponsored transactions)
The budget reference indicates the sponsored budget year of the transaction.
To Request a New Chartstring
To request a new General Ledger/Budget chartfield (e.g. Program, Department), send an email to Ann Marziale , Director of General Accounting. Visit Request a New Chartstring for more information on requesting a new Chartstring.
To Request a New Sponsored Project-Activity-Budget Reference
OSP assists University faculty and staff with submission of proposals for external support of research, scholarship, education and training, and service/outreach activities. Responsibilities include, assuring that submitted proposals conform to University policies and sponsor guidelines, and if funded, that projects are compliant with sponsor requirements. For additional information, please visit OSP’s website.
Requesting Access to Chartstrings
To request access to your chartstrings, enter a FAB FAST Request.