SU Home | BFAS Home | Index |  Login

        Quick Links                   
         Comptroller Links
         University Policies
email E-mail print Print
Bursar - Frequently Asked Questions
Jul 21,2015 at 12:38:PM

We have compiled a list of your most frequently asked questions and provided answers for your quick reference.

Send us your question, if you don't see your question answered below.

Please click on the subject you have a question about to be taken to that section or scroll down to view the entire list of questions and answers    


What are the course fee charges on my bill?
Some classes require additional expenses not covered by tuition alone. Class fees are generally listed in the Schedule of classes online publication and on the MySlice Class Search website.

An explanation of what class fees cover should be included on the syllabus or the student can speak with their professor, or department chairperson, or the Deans Office( to find out exactly what the fees cover).

How much are late fee charges?
If the balance on the account is $499.99 or less, the fee is $85.
If the balance on the account is $500 or greater, the fee is $120.

How do I pay my bill by credit card or electronic funds transfer?
The information and links for making credit card payments and electronic funds transfers can be found on the Bursar and Student Debt Management website.

The fee is charged by a third-party vendor contracted to process credit card payments for those wishing to use them for payment of their bill. It is not a fee charged by the University.

How can I view my bursar account on line?
Go to MySlice, enter your NetID and password. You will see a link under Finances, called "View Student Account" click that to enter the student account site.


Billing Schedule

When will I receive a bill and when will it be due?
Please click here to view the 2015-2016 Main Campus BIlling Schedule.

Tuition and Fees

Where can I find information about tuition, fees, and related policies?
Click here for the 2015-2016 Syracuse University Bulletin for Tuition, Fees and Related Policies.

What impact does dropping a class after the financial deadline have on my tuition charges?
Undergraduate and Law students:
If you drop a class after the posted financial drop deadline, you are financially responsible for that course. If the combination of hours registered and dropped after the financial deadline exceed 19 hours, you are charged the published per credit hour rate for each hour over 19. The financial deadline for each semester is three weeks from the first day of classes.

Graduate students:
If you drop a class after the posted financial drop deadline, you are financially responsible for that course. The financial deadline for each semester is three weeks from the first day of classes.

Bursar Refunds 

How do I request a refund?
Directions on how to request a refund and setup direct deposit can be found here.

You may also send an email or visit our office to fill out a request at our front desk.

How long does it take to get a refund?
The refund normally takes 5-7 business days from the time a credit exists on your account or from the date you place the request.

During peak refund periods, it may take 7-10 business days from the time the credit exists on your account.

There must be a credit on the account for us to process a refund. If your refund is created by a personal check overpayment, the university reserves the right to hold the refund request from processing until the check has cleared. In typical cases, it will be two full weeks, but may be longer.

Very Important Refund Information:   In the event that you take a Leave of Absence or withdraw from the University, your Student Account may be subject to proration or removal of your financial aid for that term.  If you receive a refund based on this funding, any subsequent financial aid adjustments resulting from a withdrawal may result in a balance owing on your Bursar account, which will be due immediately upon your departure from the University   If you have any questions on this, we encourage you to contact our Financial Aid Office at 315 443 1513, or the Bursar’s Office at or 315 443 2444.  Thank you.  

 Monthly Payment Plan 

How do I apply for the monthly payment plan?
To sign up for the Monthly Payment Plan you may access an application on our website.

Print the application, fill it out and return it to us:

-by fax at 315-443-3630

-by email

-mail to Syracuse University, Bursar Operations, 102 Archbold North, Syracuse, NY 13244-1140.

Please contact our office at 315-443-2444 if you decide to sign up after you receive a regular billing statement and we will advise you on the proper amount to submit to be set up on the plan.

There is a $70 non-refundable application fee to enroll in the Monthly Payment Plan program.

How does the monthly payment plan work?

  • Generally, the Monthly Payment Plan consists of 5 payments for the fall semester and 6 payments for the spring semester.
  • All charges minus all credits (including anticipated financial aid) are divided by the number of payments as stated above. The number of payments can be different depending on when you enroll in the plan.
  • Each month a billing statement is then sent for the payment due. The payment can vary from month to month depending on the account activity.

Why is my monthly payment plan different month to month?

  • Your payment plan payment may differ month to month depending on the activity on the student account.
  • Any changes to the account, charges or credits, will change the amount of subsequent monthly payments.
  • The account balance will be divided by the remaining payments on the payment plan after changes have occurred. This could increase or decrease your payments depending on the activity. 

Housing and Meal Plan 

How do I change my meal plan?
You may log on to or visit them in Steele Hall, room 206 to change your meal plan.

Who do I contact regarding lock core and room damage charges on my account?
Contact the Office of Residence Life at 315-443-3637, or visit them at 111 Waverly Avenue, Suite 200, or contact FIXT at 315-443-4948.

How do I add to SUpercard?
Simply log on to to add food and/or plus money to your account.

The minimum purchase is $25 and will be billed to your University Bursar Account.

You can also call housing at 315-443-2721 or send an email to

Financial Aid 

How do I apply for additional financial aid such as loans, etc?
Go directly to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Programs' website

You can also contact their office by calling 315-443-1513 or via email

Health Center 

Health & Wellness Fee

What is the Health and Wellness Fee?

The Health and Wellness Fee is a mandatory fee for all full time students at Syracuse University, the cost is $347.00 per semester.  This fee supports the Advocacy Center, Counseling Center, Health Services, the Department of Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance.  Students can participate in the services and activities offered by these departments during the semester for which the fee was paid.  The Health and Wellness Fee is not health insurance.

What does the Health and Wellness Fee cover? 

  • Advocacy Center Services-Support and Assistance for Sexual and Relationship Violence
  • Counseling Center Services such as Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Crisis Counseling, Therapy and Group Counseling
  • Department of Recreation Services-Free use of Recreation Services
  • Health Education and Wellness Promotion
  • Health Services including Allergy Clinic, Ambulance Services, Flu shots, HIV Testing, Medical Appointments, Medical Transportation, Nutrition Counseling, On-Call Service 24 hours, Psychiatric Appointments
  • Office of Student Assistance-Central Helping Resource and helping Students and Families manage Crisis and Life Traumas
  • Substance Abuse Prevention and Health Enhancement

Do you still have questions regarding the Health and Wellness Fee?

If you still have questions regarding the Health and Wellness fee, you can contact Health Services at or at 315-443-2666. 


 Whom do I contact regarding parking charges?
All questions regarding parking charges, permits or fines, should be directed to Parking Services at 315-443-4652.  Please have the student ID number available.

 Who bills my bookstore charges?
The University Bookstore is responsible for billing customers for any and all purchases made at the bookstore on charge accounts.

You may contact the bookstore regarding any billing questions at 315-443-9950 during store hours.  Store hours may be found on the Bookstore website.

You may also reach them via email or visit their website.

Enrollment Verification 

Whom do I contact for enrollment verification?
The Registrar's office can provide this information for you.
You may contact them at 315-443-2422 or visit their website for information.

Tax Information 

When will I receive my 1098T form?
Syracuse University will be sending IRS Form 1098-T "Tuition Payment Statement" to you by February 1st along with an informational letter that will contain additional information about the current tax legislation.

In addition, we will provide to you a detailed statement of all your past year's transactions to help you determine what your eligibility for either of these tax credits may be. We are only reporting to the IRS your total allowable educational expense as determined per their guidelines, as well as University administered scholarships and grants.


If you have a question that you do not see listed here, please email us.


Comptroller's Office Departments

Bursar Operations and Student Debt
Comptroller's Office
Disbursements Processing
Financial Reporting and Analysis

Financial Systems Management
General Accounting

Restricted Accounting
Sponsored Accounting
Tax Reporting and Analysis

Received 2488356 Distinct Visits and 3732783 Page Loads Since 01/04/2010
   Internet Explorer    Mozilla Firefox